As the swiftly evolving Saudi Arabia opens its doors to international tourism, the ancient city of AlUla is fast becoming recognised as the cultural jewel in Saudi Arabia’s crown.
Amid a lunar desert landscape, in the shadow of towering Jabals and rolling dunes, a palm grove oasis gave AlUla its roots. An ancient crossroad of civilisations with 200,000 years of human legacy, AlUla is a place of extraordinary human and natural heritage.
Today, travellers to the region can experience the raw, natural beauty and monumentality of landscapes in this region. This sets the stage for a vast open-air museum of spectacular ancient monuments dating back thousands of years to when the Lihyan and Nabataean kingdoms reigned.
As The Royal Commission for AlUla continue their sensitive renewal of the region, guests can also enjoy a range of bespoke experiences and truly memorable activities.
Get in touch
- Enjoy a private tour of Hegra, a 52-hectare ancient city and Saudi Arabia’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site. Comprised of ancient tombs, classical libraries and insights to ancient beliefs, rituals and practices of every-day life.
- Explore the kingdom of an ancient civilization at two breath-taking locations – Dadan and Jabal Ikmah. Dating from the 2nd and 6th Centuries (and possibly earlier), this was the capital of the Dadan and Lihyan Kingdoms.
- Set in Golden desert sands and climbing three storeys into to the Saudi Arabian sky, the awe-inspiring Elephant Rock, also known as Jabal Al Fil, is one of AlUla’s many geological marvels and certainly it’s most iconic image.
- Explore the beauty of AlUla’s night sky and enjoy a traditional Saudi menu cooked over open flames under the moonlight. The cosmic wonders of this desert night sky have inspired science, religion, philosophy, art and literature for millennia.
- Visit the Innovative AlUla Fresh, a local farm purposefully developed to present an ideal agri-tourism experience, including date palms and citrus trees.
- Whether on horseback, bicycle or on foot, explore the untouched canyons and open vistas that surround AlUla and experience the sheer power and wonder of the Arabian desert.
- Your base for this experience will be Shaden Resort. Enjoy the comfort of villa accommodation with private garden and pool. Hidden deep within the mountainous landscape, the location is what makes it truly memorable. An oasis of luxury amongst the rugged landscape, this is a stunning desert resort.