8 days/9 nights itinerary in Japan
A Journey of Contrasts, Japan
for 2 adults
Japan is a destination of true contrasts - a country full of ancient traditions juxtaposed against modern vibrancy and majestic beauty. During this trip you will experience the bright lights and fast pace of Tokyo, reconnect with your inner calm in Hakone and marvel in the magic and mystery that is Kyoto. During your first stop in Tokyo you will take in temples and beautiful Japanese Gardens before enjoying some time in the world-famous Ginza shopping district. Next stop on the itinerary is a night in spectacular Hakone, exploring part of the Fuji National Park with a cruise along Lake Ashinoko, a visit to the incredible Hakone Open Air Museum and a stay at a traditional Ryokan complete with private hot spring bath. Feeling fully rejuvenated you will then board the renowned Shinkansen (more commonly known as the Bullet Train) to Kyoto, where you will experience the regions ancient traditions such as the tea ceremony and geisha culture.
- A visit to the mesmerising gardens of Koishikawa Korakuen in Tokyo, a real hidden gem known only by the locals
- Enjoy a cocktail at the iconic New York Bar on the 52nd floor of the Park Hyatt Tokyo, famous for being the setting of Sofia Coppola’s ‘Lost in Translation’
- Private shopping guide experience through the Ginza shopping district
- Scenic drive to Hakone along the picturesque Hakone Skyline road, with the chance to catch a glimpse of the majestic Mount Fuji
- Soak up the culture of Hakone with a visit to the Open Air Museum, set amidst the spectacular surroundings of valleys and mountains
- Soak yourself in the private hot spring baths of your Ryokan, the ultimate way to immerse yourself fully into Japanese culture
- Board the famous Bullet Train for a two-hour journey from Hakone to Kyoto, with seats on the right-hand side of the train for the best chance to catch a view of Mount Fuji
- Full day of immersing yourself in the temples of Kyoto, with visits to Honen-In Temple, taking the Philosopher’s Path that will end at the Nanzenji temple complex
- Sample the local delicacies such as a tempura lunch, a traditional Japanese tasting menu and enjoying a Tea Ceremony
- Visit to Kyoto’s Geisha district with a local expert, ending with a sumptuous private dinner hosted by a geisha or maiko (a trainee geisha)
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Deluxe Room | Includes Breakfast | 4 Nights
Blending the modern and contemporary to be expected of Tokyo with the epitome of Japanese space and style, the Mandarin Oriental provides the perfect base for your time in Tokyo. Within easy walking distance of the city’s main shopping districts, the hotel rises above the city and bedrooms provide spectacular sweeping views to give a real sense of destination. Complete with its own Spa in the sky and ample selection of bars and restaurants, the Mandarin Oriental is a true oasis amongst the metropolis.
Hakone Kowakien Tenyu
Superior Room with outdoor Japanese Bath | Includes Breakfast & Dinner | 1 Night
Hakone Kowakien Ten-yu is a quintessential Japanese haven set amidst the magnificent mountains. Rooms are traditional ryokan style of the highest luxury, as stylish as they are simple, and each has their own outdoor private bath, perfectly placed to watch an evening sunset from. The hotel also offers an infinity hot spring pool where guests can enjoy a truly authentic Japanese experience, before enjoying a sumptuous tasting menu in the hotel’s dining room, where guests are encouraged to wear the traditional robes found in their room for a wonderfully unique evening.
Four Seasons Kyoto
Deluxe Room | Includes Breakfast | 3 Nights
Set amidst a tree-lined drive and perfectly located within Kyoto’s Higashiyama temple district, the Four Seasons Kyoto really is the epitome of understated Japanese luxury. Rooms are filled with natural light that pours in from the floor-to-ceiling windows, and at the centre of the hotel lies an 800-year-old Shakusui-en garden pond, steeped in history and a truly calming heart of the property. No stay at this hotel is complete without a visit to The Spa, the relaxing haven that will leave you truly rejuvenated and in touch with your inner zen.
*Price shown does not include flights