18 Nights/19 days itinerary in Madagascar
Magic in Madagascar and South Africa
for 2 adults
A tropical oasis that lies still in the Indian Ocean, Madagascar is a secluded paradisiacal haven. Listen for the lemur, the local tribes and the lull of the ocean as you recline in sheer serenity. Match this with the powerful peace of the South African Cape’s rugged open plains where wild animals roam untamed and untainted by your presence. As you visit the homes of two vibrant eco-systems, this 19-day itinerary will immerse you in a chorus of rare natural life. With after-dark walks accompanied by nocturnal mammals and day-time safaris spotting the Big 5, you will experience a newfound intimacy with wildlife, whether this be on the secluded island of Madagascar or out in the far-reaching plains of the South African bushland. Be it a lemur or a lion, return from a day of fascinating animal watching to your prestigious hotels and spend your evenings sleeping under the stars in graceful grandeur; a glamorous bell tent on the banks of the Mandrare River, a luxury villa in a Relais and Chateaux Lodge, a suite on the cliffs of the Twelve Apostles Mountains…
- Step out of your luxury ensuite bell tent to the morning calls of the Crested Coua birds that inhabit the banks of the Mandrare River
- Take a boat across the river to the Sacred Gallery Forest where you will walk amongst ring-tailed lemurs and plush tropical vegetation
- Trek through the prehistoric Forest of Zenavo after-dark and spot species of sleeping birds, chameleons, owls and nocturnal lemur
- After an evening climb amongst the baobab trees, watch the magic of the Madagascan landscape transforming in front of you as day turns into dusk and the sunset glow radiates across the mountains
- Visit the royal palace, The Rova of Antananarivo, and enjoy the panoramic downtown views with its post-colonial houses, cathedrals, cobblestoned streets and traditional wooden houses
- Sink your toes into the soft sand beaches or dip them in the warm crystal clear sea as you relax in utter paradise
- Sleep on the slopes of the rugged Twelve Apostles Mountains surrounded by unparalleled views of the ocean at the Twelve Apostles 5-star boutique resort
- Stay in your own private wilderness at Bushman’s Kloof, a semi-desert eco-reserve that boasts terraces overlooking the sun-soaked South African landscape
- Explore the fascinating rock art from prehistoric eras with a picnic in tow, or embark on an after-dinner drive under the stars, keeping an eye out for nocturnal Ardwolves, Wildcats and Bat Eared Foxes
- End your trip on the untouched shores of Paternoster, where you will find breath-taking views of the Western Coast, vibrant marine life and blazing sunsets
Deluxe Room | Bed & Breakfast | 1 Night
Hidden away in a secluded haven of peace and quiet, the Tamboho Hotel can be found resting on the Tana Water Front. The hotel falls in close proximity to the hustle of the city centre, whilst retaining a distinct air of intimate solitude. The design seamlessly blends Malagasy architecture with modern comfort, harbouring local materials such as light wood, raffia, gemstones and bamboo to create an air of authenticity whilst teaming them with technology, crisp linens and plush furnishings.
Mandrare River Camp
Luxury Ensuite Tent | Bed & Breakfast | 4 Nights
Step off of the beaten path and stay in rural luxury as you ‘glamp’ in exquisite bell tents on the banks of the Mandrare River. Wake to the songs of the local Tandroy Tribe as they collect their water in the mornings and step out of your tent to the sight of baobab trees in the glow of the sunrise. This hotel offers a plethora of activities including night walks through the forest and bird-watching in the day. With over 180 species of lemur inhabiting the island, you are sure to catch a glimpse of some fascinating rare animal action.
Monaco Room | Bed & Breakfast | 1 Night
Settled atop a hill in the Malagasy capital, Maison Gallieni offers awe-inspiring views of the surrounding island landscape. Built with brick, wood and stone, the house provides a contemporary eco-lodge feel, with granite floors blended with wooden panels. Your spacious, airy room opens up onto the swimming pool where you are invited to lounge in the sun whilst sipping on a cool, refreshing cocktail.
Luxury Villa | Bed & Breakfast | 9 Night
From the world-renowned Relais & Chateaux Hotels family, this resort exudes true Malagasy luxury. With an infinity pool overlooking the ocean and decadent interiors that serve to soothe the senses, your 9 nights here will be spent in paradise. Spend your day kayaking, paddle boarding, walking through the dense forests with the lemurs and the hummingbirds or simply reclining on the pristine beaches. Evenings at this oasis of calm will be filled with first-class cuisine and uninterrupted starry skies.
Classic Room | Bed & Breakfast | 3 Nights
Dramatically located on the edge of the magical Twelve Apostles and Table Mountain, the Twelve Apostles Hotel offers an exquisite South African experience. As the Atlantic Ocean crashes against the rocks beneath you, you are invited to dine on fresh seafood and sip crisp wine on the old-worldly terrace. Inspired by the surrounding national parks, the cuisine in the 5-star kitchens at Twelve Apostles is one of inventive and immersive Cape fusion. Whether fine dining or simply cocktail tasting, your senses will be set alight.
Bushmans Kloof Main Lodge
Luxury Room | Bed & Breakfast | 2 Nights
Nestled amongst sandstone formations and the open tableau of land that stretches towards the Cederberg Mountains, the Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve has earned the award for National Geographic’s Unique Lodge of the World. As a family-run establishment, the Lodge aims to conserve the surrounding wildlife; it remains untamed and untouched. Your luxury room comes perfectly designed to immerse you in the South African wilderness whilst retaining an impeccable feeling of comfort and class.
Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel
Courtyard Room | Bed & Breakfast | 2 Nights
Oozing with seaside coastal charm, the Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel is found tucked into the golden Western Coast of South Africa in the picturesque fishing village of Paternoster. As you wake up to the birdsong in your private courtyard, breathe in the fresh air and head out for a day of whale watching, kayaking, dolphin spotting or beach walking. The untouched beaches of the lesser-known Western Coast offer sensational views and supple sand from which you will bathe in the warm sun and let the sea run over your toes as the sun sets.
*Price shown does not include flights